The Celtic tribe in this area when the Romans arrived, was the Brigantes. They occupied a huge area north of the Humber, though the area was very sparsely populated.
In 1881, a stone altar was found in Longwood, which read: To the Holy God of the Brigantes and to the Divinity of the Emperor, Titus Aurelius Quintus, by the decree of the Decunions has placed (this altar) and fulfilled his vow.
The Brigantes were a powerful tribe and were ruled by Queen Cartimandua.
D Sykes, in his History of the Colne Valley paints a highly fanciful picture of wild and independent hill people, indulging in Druidism and human sacrifice.
A Roman road crossed the Pennines at Standedge, connecting the garrisons of Slack and Castleshaw, on the way from York to Chester.
The road seems to have approached Marsden along the northern slopes of the valley, along Towngate, and out onto the southern slope of Pule Hill.
The road was built in AD80.
The Romans Came This Way published in 2008 by the The Huddersfield and District Archeological Society, is the Story of the Discovery and Excavation of a Roman Military Way Across the Yorkshire Pennines